Monday, May 27, 2013

Trip to the Mall (original date 4/18/2010)

I woke up this morning sick, I just wanted to stay in bed all day but we were having an open house today so I had to get up. I explained to Donald that I was not feeling good so he needed to help daddy so I could take it easy. I guess this was code for give Mom a hard time. He was off the wall, driving me crazy with yelling, goofing off and sliding on the floors. We decided to go to Providence Place Mall and take the boys to Dave & Busters. So we did a final pick up around the house, show the new realitor around the house explaining a few things then we were on out way.
     I should have know things might go bad as Kyle fell asleep on the way. We get there and it is a little early so we thought we would walk around the mall so the boys would have time to adjust. We only go to the mall once a year, we are not big on spending mall prices so we tend to stay away from them. We went into Borders as we have done before as they love books. Donald new he could not get another dinosaur book so he asked about getting a book on Titanic. I told him he had to get help to find one in his age group and if he handled it well and found a book under $12, he could get one.  He did really well asking for help and finding the titanic book, only BIG problem, the ones he liked were over $12. That started the meltdown, so I thought we could go to a backup of Magic Tree House since he reads that series. I get yelled at "i'm bored with them". I knew I was in deep shit at this point, tears starting & he was shaking. I felt bad but he has to learn that we have a budget. We suggested the  Percy Jackson series as we know he would like the series and it was a little above his age so it would keep his interest. This sent him into a FULL blown meltdown, yelling, screaming, swinging fists & stomping. I gave him warning to stop or he will be grounded for the week(he has no TV or computer this week). I explain that we have now been there for 40 minutes and he needs to pick a book that is age/intelligence appropriate for him. He refused anything we suggested so we decided we were not going to wait anymore. Now he starts yelling at me to stop and runs back to get a Magic Tree House book, because he was yelling he was told he was not getting anything. He chased me thru the store yelling at me and trying to give me the book. We did not get the book but he did get a long lecture when we left the store & told we were not going to D&B because of his attitude. Because I didn't feel good I was losing my temper as I have no patience today so I turned it over to Mike and I went shopping at Old Navy.
           Mike talked with Donald and Donald did calm down but he was mad and that it OK. He can be mad but he has to learn to control his temper. He gave me the angry "I'm Sorry" and at this point I knew he didn't mean it. I walked around with Karl for a while then Kyle for a while, we took turns. At one point Mike had all three, then Donald wanted to walk with me. This time he meant it when he said he was sorry and  said he understood that he will not be rewarded for bad behavior.
         Kyle was very guarded while we were walking around the mall, he wasn't sure if he liked it or not. By the time we were leaving Old Navy he was done and having meltdowns over anything and everything. We decided it was time to leave and was very glad that it was after 1pm so we could get back into the house. Karl really liked the escalators so he got upset when we wanted to leave because we hadn't gone to the third floor and he wanted to see it. I took a chance and made a deal with him, I told him that we would go up, walk around a little but then we had to leave. I was nervous because I wasn't sure if he would understand the deal but it was worth a shot. We went upstairs walk half way, he wanted to continue but I reminded him of our deal and he crossed over and started back to the escalator. I was so proud he completed a deal and did not have a meltdown.
     Since we came home I have been on the couch resting and napping while Mike took over doing everything for me. He is the best, taking care of all the boys needs, doing laundry and keeping the house clean. I LOVE YOU HANDSOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment