Monday, May 27, 2013

No Blue in Our House Today!!!! (4/2/2013)


A few years ago I would  wear blue for World Autism Awareness Day but in the past few years it seem that WAAD is more about raising awareness for Autism Speaks and their money making "Light it up Blue" campaign than promoting Autism Acceptance. Everyone knows that I am a huge advocate for Autism Awareness,  but I will never support Autism Speaks or what Autism Speaks stands for.  Their message of 'Cure & Prevent' is the opposite of the message I give my boys and I cannot/will not go against my values to join the masses by wearing blue. If I did that it would be teaching my boys to conform to what others want them to be or want them to do and I can not do that.

I bring the boys up to embrace their Autism, to own it and for them to be themselves. I do this because I know they are exactly how God intended for them to be. Preventing outstanding boys like them never crossed my mind and I would never cure them as they are not sick. They do things differently, they learn differently and they are gifted. If you have read my other blogs you know I say it like it is and do not give mixed messages. So I will not support Autism Speaks and their work as they do not speak for my sons and because my oldest son gets very upset with how Autism Speaks talk about Autism. I believe in building my boys up with their strengths not supporting an organization that  wants to prevent them from being born.

I am still not sure why people wear bright blue for WAAD day as it is only one of the Autism Colors. The only reason I can see is that it is Autism Speaks color which is why I say WAAD is about Autism Speaks Awareness not Autism Awareness. Autism colors are Red, Yellow, Teal & Navy Blue so on April 2nd wear multicolors to show your support.

Some may say that orange is not in the Autism colors either which is true. That is why when I make my charms or beads for Embracing The World of Autism, the orange embraces the Autism colors as you can see in the attached photo. Plus the color orange meanings really relate to kids with Autism.

April 11 - Wear Orange for 'Embracing The World of Autism Day'  to support Autism Acceptance and for those with Autism to be open about their Autism.

 Orange & how it relates to ASD kids
 
      Orange = Ambition, healing, enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination,
                    attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation

AMBITION : Our kids have great ambition in their interests & their in their world.
HEALING  :  I am always healed by the smile of a child and how my boys see the world.
ENTHUSIASM  :  Have you ever seen an ASD child stim??? They have more enthusiasm than they can handle:)
FASCINATION  :  Child's choice - Cars, trucks, trains, the color pink, Titanic, snaps, etc.........
HAPPINESS  :  ASD children are very happy children
CREATIVITY  :  Whether it is in the Arts or how they are going to convince us parents that they know more, our ASD children are very creative.
DETERMINATION  :  Our kids have such determination on every task especially is it is about their interests.
ATTRACTION  :  Whether good or bad behavior they attract attention.
SUCCESS  :  Temple Grandin, Albert Einstein, Henry Ford, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Gates, etc.....
ENCOURAGEMENT  :  What every ASD Parent gives their child every moment of every day.
STIMULATION  : With a Sensory Diet for our children's stimulation they are better able to learn and cope with Autism.

Please know that while I do not support Autism Speaks, I know many do support them and I will respect you for your choice and ask that you respect me for mine. We all have different experiences and different beliefs and that is OK :)

No comments:

Post a Comment