Monday, May 27, 2013

Friends (original date 4/22/2010)

FRIEND - A person whom one knows, likes & trusts.
       All parents worry about their child's friends. Will their friends be a bad influence, bring drugs into our child's life & will they treat our child right. When your child has Autism you worry will my child have friends. This is the hardest part of the boys Autism for me as I have social anxiety. Growing up with being put down by my Mom & Sisters, it is very hard for me to make friends. When you love someone and they turn on you it is hard to trust again but when it is our family that turns on you, you are left feeling worthless. Most people don't get me, they think I am bold, assertive, controlling and a perfectionist. I am bold about my work because it is the one area I can be confident because my family could not touch me with my work. I am assertive about things I believe in because I was put down so much growing up I taught myself to be assertive when needed. Controlling & Perfectionist got together, I don't want to be controlling but I have to have things as perfect as possible. When Karissa was six weeks old, we moved to a new apartment, during the move I severely sprained my ankle (possibly broke it). My mother showed up on our second day after the move, when she came in and saw that there were still boxes to unpack, she tore me apart. Yelled and screamed at me about how I was  bad mother, couldn't do anything right, I was a failure & how bad I looked. From that point on I made sure my house was cleaned, my hair & makeup always done & did my best to make things as perfect as possible. Over the years no matter what I did or how perfect it was, it was not good enough to be loved by them.
       Now if my own family can't love me or accept me because I am not what they want, why would friends. I think part of my problem is my feeling of what a friend is. Friends should mean what they say and say what they mean. When I was pregnant with Kyle I wanted a hot chocolate at Donald's game. The woman working the stand made a big deal about not letting her friend (me) have tap water with my hot chocolate and she got bottled water to make it. This same woman does not RSVP when her son is invited to parties at our house. I have never been invited to anything with her. To me she is not a friend she is an acquaintance. I can never tell when people really consider me to be their friend when they say friend. When I say someone is my friend, I mean friend.  I can't stand the vague saying, "we need to get together sometime" but then they are always busy. When Karissa was in elementary school other Moms didn't talk to me. I was the single Mom, thin Mom & the young Mom so I did not fit in. I actually went on field trips and other Moms would not talk to me. Now I am the Mom that has sons with Autism so I do not fit in again. I know part of the problem now is that I talk about Autism a lot but Autism IS my life. Everyone is always busy with their work, friends & activities and all I have is the boys, Autism & the Y. I have been out twice in over a year, for me getting my nails done is the highlight of the month.
      I am afraid my social anxiety will make it hard on the boys. I do try to setup playdates but they never seem to happen. I always find myself wondering is it that the child is not interested, the parent doesn't want their child to be around Autism (yes it does happen) or is it me the parent doesn't like. I am trying to be more confident in myself but it is hard as I always worry who might know my sisters and how my sisters talk about me to others. It is so much easier to make from online because it is easy to be a friend without being seen, without worrying about disappointing others. I am hoping that our move to Maine will be a break though for both myself and the boys. I will be far away from my sisters and their influence so I am hoping to overcome my social anxiety. I am hoping the boys have better luck making more friends in Maine.
        I will teach the boys my most important view on Friends. "It is better to be a friend that tells you the truth than to have a polite acquaintance." One thing that is for sure, the boys and I are alike in many ways, we say it like it is, we are true to ourselves, were honest & we are loyal. I guess I can take comfort int he fact that we will learn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment