Monday, May 27, 2013

Overnight Trip (5/10/2010)

We are on our way to Maine to see the new houe. It takes about 2 ½ hours to get there so we will stay the night as 5 hours  of driving in one day is too much for the boys.  We will stay with their grandparents for the night. Our car is packed full of things, some for our overnight stay and some extra household items to put in the new house. I think we have more packed for the overnight visit than we do for the house. When you have children you always pack extra but when you have boys with Autism you pack triple.  Of course you extra clothes but for the boys I have to keep their OCDs in mind. For example if Donald got a PJ’s shirt dirty he would wear any other t-shirt  in place of the dirty one. But Karl would insist on having a PJ’s shirt and would scream until we got him one. So if I forget to pack an extra PJ’s shirt I would have to wash the one he got dirty so he would be able to sleep. Then I have to make sure we pack the right stuffed animals  & weighted blankets for them to sleep. Karl was cute he saw we were packing so he went upstairs and got his raccon and got Pooh for Kyle. Well Kyle won’t sleep with Pooh so I asked Karl for Kyle’s turtle. Karl said “can’t find” like it was no big deal he couldn’t find it. Funny considering Karl is more picky than Kyle is, but Karl made sure he had his correct stuffed animal. It took us 20 minutes buy we found the turtle for Kyle. I think their sleeping items is the one thing  I will cater to the boys on because it means I will get a good nights sleep and that is hard to do on a normal day never mind them not having their animals.
Then it is make sure Donald has gameboys for the car ride or he will ask a million questions and that would mean I wouldn’t be able to type right now. I figure while Mike is driving I can write the blog and then work on the “moving” chapter of my book. We timed the drive perfectly to K&K naps so they will sleep most of the ride. Back to getting ready for an overnight trip, have to pack all meds that may be needed, even the one every now & then meds just in case. I always have a med kit in the trunk in case they need band aids, especially now that Karl has a fixation on having to have a band aid with a scrap whether he needs one or not.  Then must have all their favorite snacks as Grandma & grandpa don’t have snacks. Must have their favorite kool-aid too or they won’t drink. Kyle has tea now to help his acid reflux & help fight his ear infection. Mike had to take him to Urgent Care this morning as Kyle may have tonsillitis and they found he has an ear infection starting. Poor guy didn’t even want his own birthday cake at his party yesterday but he made up for it this morning as he felt better and had it for breakfast.
 I let all the boys have cake for breakfast, it’s Mother’s Day so I treated them. They were all cute they made me a Mother’s Day Mobile instead of a card. There was a cut out of me with four children hanging from me with all their names on it and they colored it in their own way. I love that Mike came up with such an unique idea for me, means so much more than a bought card. I have the best husband in the world. Tomorrow will be part two of Overnight Trip as we have just gotten to Mass & there is so much more to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment