Monday, May 27, 2013

Painting (original date 1/13/2010)

   Tuesday was a good day for Karl, on the way to the gym I had to go to the water company. Karl started yelling at me, it took me a minute but I realized he was saying wrong way. I asked him if that was what he was telling me and he said "yes Mama, wrong way".  After the  stop I got back onto the normal route Karl said, "good job Mama, right way". There were so many reasons to be proud, he's getting to know diections, he is learning to speak up & he is saying more phrases. After the gym we came home for lunch, Kyle was being tough, he wanted his banana before finishing his sandwich. It was a back & forth issue, so I put the last pieces on the counter. Then Karl started  giving  them to Kyle & Kyle would throw them on the floor, I would put them on the counter and it went on and on. After a bit I couldn't find the pieces, so I asked Karl where they were, he said "I don't know" (his new favorite saying) then he said "in Kyle's mouth Mom"  with a "you should know that" attitude.
   Yesterday I spent most of the day painting, I painted Marvin the Martian on Donald's bedroom wall. Recently I re-decorated Donald's bedroom to his Sensory Needs. Donald is a Sensory Avoider so I we painted his room beige and dark blue to help him relax and added many items to help him. You can see pictures & learn what a Sensory Bedroom can do  by becoming a Facebook fan of  my business - Karleen's Ideas http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=134921&id=120175526844&saved#/pages/Coventry-RI/Karleens-Ideas/120175526844.
        Bedtime - Donald is falling asleep much faster with a Night Sky ceiling to help him relax. Karl & Kyle are getting better at bedtime, Donald reads to them, then iI tuck them in. They are kind of cute bouncing on the bed, I tuck one in and the other sits up and this can go on & on  for a bit. I want to stop them but they are laughing together about if as to say "let's pull one over on Mom." So in turn I let them have this one, it is all about give and take to help my boys. Plus they are working together and that is always good even if they are doing the wrong thing. I also loved to hear them laugh.
   Today at the gym, I watched Karl played at Kids Gym, he had a good mixture of self-play & playing with others. When he realized I was there, he ran to me yelling Mama and gave me a big hug. As we went to check out, he wave and yelled "bye bye friends."   One of the instructors said "it is amazing how far he has come since you started here." See when we started there October of  2008, Karl couldn't talk at all, he a little sign language & used picture exchange. He still signs, he even teaches Kyle to sign and he talks all the time, can't always understand him but he is trying so hard that is all that matters
     This week on Facebook friends say it is Retro week and to put up an old picture of yourself. I only have a a small bag of pictures from back then, but the first one I picked up was one of my Dad & I at a Father Daughter Dance. As great as it is to find that picture, it hurts just as much, I have been crying since I found it. My Dad passed away almost 23 years ago, I was Daddy's Little Girl. Because of my dad's heart trouble, I did everything with him as I was always afraid something would happen to him if I wasn't there. When I was eight my Dad had his first heart attack & I learned how to handle the car if he had a heart attack at the wheel.   He had also asked me that if he was ever on life support more than 24 hours, to please pull the plug. Needless to say after his heart attack I was forced to grow up real fast. I think he put so much responsiblity onto me because he felt we were connected because I had so many medical problems too. All that responsiblity was hard but it helped me prepare for the future. I always try to find the silver lining in the hard times, I think it comes from the fact that I was not supposed to live passed the age of four and in a few months I will turn 41. Guess I proved those Doctors wrong. Living past the age of four is one thing that tells me God has me here for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment