Monday, May 27, 2013

Why???? (original date 8/19/2010)

It has been some time since my last blog as I have been getting the house set up plus filling orders. As things settle down I hope to have more time to write.
WHY??? A month before we moved to Maine I called the local public works department and asked them to put up Autism signs. Two weeks after we moved in the signs were up and they said "Child with Autism Area". These signs help drivers understand that just because Karl looks old enough to understand danger, it doesn't mean he does understand. The signs also let first responders know that my boys may not respond to verbal commands or may be frighten by the lights & sirens. I have alarms on the door& a fenced yard with a lock but as we all know kids can get past things at times. I do know that they are only signs but they do bring awareness.
This past Sunday the sign that was on our lawn was stolen. I couldn't believe it, why would someone steal a sign that was meant to help children be safe. I contacted the police department, small weekly local paper & a local news station. Police told me they would keep an eye out for it & contact public works for the to order a new sign. News paper was full but said they would put it online is they get a chance. Local news station reviewed it for a few days. In the process of waiting to hear from the media, I posted a plea & picture on many Facebook pages. Another local news station contacted me to do the story. I hadn't been that nervous since I had to do an oral report in Dr. Gerard's English class in 11th grade. I made it thru the interview and Giovanna did a great job with the story. There were many comments supporting us and an offer for someone to make a new sign for us. It seems hat the town needs to replace it as it is a road sign. But the wonderful man still wants to make a sign for the boys including their favorite things. It was nice to see such support from strangers.
After that interview I heard from the original station to do an interview. We did it this morning, it was good, although the part of the video with me & the kids flipping over in the hammock may end up on youtube. LOL Caroline did a great job too and it aired tonight. Then I saw that it had been posted to their website & read the comments. Talk about the complete opposite attitude for viewers comments. As if someone stealing the sign wasn't enough, to saw "get control of the kids & put a fence up" Just proves the lack of Autism understanding people have. I did try to explain some other safety I have in place that were not mentioned in the story but it seems my explanation had no listeners.
WHY would someone take the sign?
WHY would people want to bask me?
WHY would someone say I am encouaging seclusion??
WHY did Regis & Kelly fb page delete my plea & Photo??
I would like to send a special THANK YOU to Giovanna, Carolyn & K-bunk Police for helping & supporting me.
*** I am half asleep right now so I will do editing in the morning.***

No comments:

Post a Comment