Monday, May 27, 2013

Discipline (original date (1/3/2013)

I know many struggle with disciplining a child with Autism. Many feel that if Autism is to blame then it is not the child's fault so they should not be punished. In my opinion Autism is never the reason for bad behavior, Autism may be the reason the child has a lack of understanding what is right & wrong. As parents we have to teach all children the difference between right & wrong and when a child has Autism it may take longer & we may have to find different techniques but the lesson can still be learned. With that said I will add that Sensory issues can be at the root of bad behavior at times but a child still needs to learn that the bad behavior is not acceptable. I will explain more throughout this Blog.

I understand many feel that when dealing with a child that has Autism we have to use kid gloves, protect them and shelter them from many things in Society. The feelings are justified as we understand our children best and want to keep the safe from the the negativity in the world today. But in the real world that is not realistic, so you need to decide if you want your child to be able to live somewhat independently or not. I know that some children with Autism may never be able to live independently but that decision can not be determined until the child is in late teens. My feelings are that until my boys are in their late teens I will teach treat them as they will live independently and teach them everything they will need to know to accomplish that. The most important thing to teach them is what is right & wrong and discipline is needed to do that.
Tantrum or Sensory Meltdown - Easy way to tell the difference  - Is the behavior 'need based' or 'greed based'??? The answer to that question will tell you if your child is having a 'meltdown' or 'tantrum' and that will tell you how to proceed. Need Based - Child can't handle surroundings so such noise, small, crowd, etc...  Greed Based - Child wants a toy, candy, etc.... Now if it is Sensory I try to redirect, if that does not work I give the boys a time out. Doing this consistently teaches my boys that the behavior is not acceptable & to choose the redirecting over the time out. We can teach coping skills all we want but if we never teach them the meltdown is bad behavior they will never learn to use those skills. When they are adults they will not be able to have a meltdown at work because of a sound so they need to learn coping techniques to help them. If it is tantrum  - They get a time out immediately.  If the behavior is dangerous, hitting, hurting others, jumping from tall heights, running off, etc..... then they get a time out immediately to understand the seriousness of the situation then follow up with a talk and/or social story.

There are many different way to discipline but the key is to be consistent no matter how long it takes. For K&K (3 & 4) They get time outs and DJ 9 get time outs & loss of privileges. Karl is my most severe, when he was 18 months he would throw things when frustrated as he was nonverbal and his receptive language was far below his age. I was pregnant with Kyle and knew Karl's throwing would be dangerous to Kyle. I started giving Karl a 2 minute time out every time he threw something. At the start he was throwing things 4-6 times a day, over the weeks it got better and by the time Kyle was born he was not throwing during normal play. There were times during therapy he would throw an item to the floor but it was a controlled throw not sporadic throwing all over as he had done before. Some bad behavior has been corrected with a few time outs while other corrected with a few hundred time outs.

Going out - I know going to the store, restaurants & other public places can be hard to do with a child with Autism but it can be done. the key is to keep consistent with discipline while out. I take a flyer disc frisbee out with me as a time out spot. If we are in Walmart & they act up they get a time out in the store. My boys have gotten time outs whenever they behaved badly no matter where we were. Many think I am wrong to discipline my boys because they have Autism, teaching them that bed behavior has consequences is the main reason I can take the boys to stores, Church, restaurants, flea markets & events by myself. And many people tell me how impressed they are with my boys good  behavior.

Older kids - Donald is turning 12 in July, we are very open & honest with Donald about his quirks & behavior. When he corrects me with facts on just about anything. I looked at him and say "if you ever want to have a girlfriend you will need to stop correcting and wait until you are asked for help." We have open talks about being Social Appropriate & other Social things to help him understand what he will face when he is on his own. When he has times he wants to be lazy I fire him from his chores, during these times he gets no extras & has to go to bed early. I explain to him that if he is lazy at job he will be fired and not be able to afford extras. I know that having a career will be hard for Donald because of some of his quirks so I am starting now to help him understand what expectations will be so he won't be rushed to find coping skills to help him.

Hope this helps some that are new to Autism:)

No comments:

Post a Comment