Monday, May 27, 2013

My Hero (original date 1/17/2010)

January 16 it is Karl's Day in our house, since two years ago Karl saved our lives.  Karl normlly slept thru the night, not even severe acid reflux woke him. On January 16, 2008 at 3:00 in the morning Karl woke up screaming, I tried to settle him down but he kept screaming. Since I was pregnant after a few minutes I had to go to the bathroom, after which I smelled oil really strong. I called my husband and he said to call the fire department. The fireman had me take the kids out of the house and put them in the car. They came in with a meter and the alarm went off, Carbon Monoxide was filling the house. Since Karl woke me early enough, there was no CM in our blood. They said if Karl hadn't woken us, we would have died that morning. So we have made January 16 Karl's Day since he is a hero. Yesterday I bought Karl a toy piano & two shirts. He ran straight to the piano and started to play, boy does he love music. Later on I showed him the shirts and he said "Oh cool", I was so excited because it wasn't scripted talk. It was a huge breakthough for him, he has been working so hard lately. At the gym when we leave he says "bye Friends" to all the other kids.  This morning I woke to hear him trying to sing his ABC's. Karl is a hero in so many ways, not only did he saved our lives that night but what he does everyday to come out of his shell, to overcome the limitations that Autism trys to put on him, makes him an incredible little boy, My Hero.   
  My cute, adorable Kyle has entered stripping stage, yesterday I re-dressed him several times. It seems he does not want to keep his clothes on, this was the worst when I went thru it with Karl. I would re-dress Karl around 30 times a day, it took three months to break the habit. I really hope I can break Kyle of this stage quickly.
   Donald and I had a great talk on Friday night, he explained that he has learned what he did to Karl was wrong and that he will try to stop controlling the boys every move. That seems to be the real issue, Donald wants the boys to think & act like him. So we talked about how he wants others to accept him as he is and he needs to accept that the boys for who they are. And that they have the right  to think for themselves, that their thoughts & actions  can be different fom his. Putting it to him like this really made sense to him and he promises to work on it. At one point he stated that he can not say 3 & 30, then he started to cry. I guess his teacher corrected him a few times in class that day and it upset him a lot. After listening to him and watching him talk, I found that his tongue does not touch his teeth when he makes the "th" sound. So we will do some mirror exercises to help him. I will also be writing his teacher about talking to him on the side and not in front of the whole class as he can not handle it at this time.
   As for me, this weekend I was able to take yogalates & yoga classes, it is so relaxing to have that quiet time all to myself. K.M. called me on Saturday saying she had been acting stupid. I am a little guarded as to the sudden change but it was great to hear fom her. I really hope she comes to Family Dinner today.
BTW - if you all haven't figured out yet, I am the worst speller & I have no idea how to get my spell checker to work. So I must say sorry for all the mis-spelled words.
Red

No comments:

Post a Comment