Monday, May 27, 2013

Freedom (original date 7/20/2010)

I have been thinking about this post for six weeks, trying to find the right wording. The word Freedom means so many different things to different people and/or different topics. My horoscope for May 27 said I would have a sense of freedom, I moved to Maine the next day. I truly did feel the sense of Freedom that night knowing so many things would change the next morning.
For those who really know me will understand this post. For those that don't know me that well, well this post may explain a lot about who I am and why I do things the way I do.
Prisoner of Worrying - Worrying what everyone will think of me. Will I say the wrong thing?  Am I dressed right? Hair right? Will someone know my family? Will someone report back to my family? Is my weight right? Too fat or too thin?? Will they say I have an eating disorder again when I don't??Is my house clean enough?? Is my cooking good enough??Am I dumb like I was told so many times??? Am I ugly like my mother told me I was?? Will they say I am lying again, even though I hate lies? Do they really like me or are they being polite?? Will I be accepted ?? Will I ever be good enough to be loved by my family???(sisters)
I can imagine your thoughts are OMG does she worry a lot or why would anyone worry so much. Well growing up being judged on every move you make, makes you worry. It makes you look in the mirror ten times before you leave to make sure everything looks right. I have a very hard time knowing whether people are truly my friend because my family always put on a front and you never knew true feeling so I think everyone acts that way. When people say lets get together sometime, I wonder if they mean it or not. Then when I don't hear from them I figure they were just being polite and didn't mean they wanted to get together. I usually hear about how busy they are as if because I am a stay at home Mother I have nothing to do. Like three boys with Autism, all the cooking, cleaning, running the house by myself, starting a business & 30 or so therapy appointments a month is not busy. If I had a friend that wanted to get together for lunch, I would make the time, I would save the money to go because I would want that friend to know I cared about them. But that never really happens for me but I see they get together with other friends and make time for other friends. So that makes me wonder are they truly me friend and  so  it starts the cycle again for worrying about who I am.
Prisoner of our Home - Four almost four years we were like prisoners of our home because of our neighbors & their dogs. They had four pitbulls and the owners were just as nasty as the dogs. The owners may have been even more nasty than the dogs. There was 14 to 21 people living in a 4 bedroom house. My boys could not handle the barking of the dogs, so playing outside did not happen often. The comments coming from the adults & kids was rude, mean & just wrong. When we found property markers proving where our land line was the Grandmother of the house said "Your boys have Autism because you are an evil person and God is punishing you". For the first time in 4 years Mike had to hold me back as I wanted to jump the fence and rip her eyes out. (Can't say heart because she did not have a heart.) It was constant trouble with them and the police were no help. They gave them warnings, and more warning and so on. The Police even told me to move and also told me to bake a cake and play nice. So for the better part of 4 years we stayed in our house even though we had the largest yard on the street. Karl & Kyle really didn't know what it was like to play in a yard.
There are others but the above are the main forms that had a tight grip on myself and the family. We left RI and moved to Maine and it has been the best decision we have ever maid. The boys are so happy, they get to play outside all the time now. They are learning what it is like to get scraps and bruises while having a lot of fun.  It is hard to watch them get hurt but it is great to see them be boys and enjoy their new yard.
The move has had the biggest impact on me. I am not worrying who knows my sisters as no one here will know them. So I do not worry about what they will be told or what they will say about me to others. I have gone from not leaving the house without makeup to has only worn makeup three times in six weeks. I am not worrying about every little detail anymore. I have vowed to be ME, to be proud of the person I am & to be more outgoing. I know I am quirky, I know I think out of the box, have different views from others, my own opinions, different values & I know I am mis-understood a lot. But all in all I am a great person - I am honest, talented, a good mother, good wife, good cook, I am loyal to those I care about, I am there for those I care about, I say what I mean because I believe in being an honest friend not a polite acquaintance & I believe in my ideas so I WILL be successful with my business and my book.
The one downfall about the move is that people in RI don't get to see me be ME. They won't get to know who I am without all the worrying I used to do. And I won't know if they would have been my true friend or not. If they had gotten to know the real ME would they have made those lunch dates, come to my kids birthday parties or come to our farewell to RI party or even stopped by to say good bye before we moved??? I guess I will never know as it seems with some friends out of site does mean out of mind and that is OK. It will be hard to realize that so many were not really my friends and that they were really just polite acquaintances but knowing the truth is always best even when it hurts. I will be OK as I grow stronger everyday and more confident in myself  too. Although I am not sure if I will ever believe Mike when he says I am pretty, I hope to but that one runs pretty deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment