Monday, May 27, 2013

'The Big Picture of Childhood Obesity' (original date 815/2012)

With schools starting in the South and other getting ready to start school, School food programs are in the media again. I feel that most of these school food programs are wasting money as they only work on one part of the problem. Childhood obesity will not change until people look at the 'Big Picture' of the problem. Childhood obesity not not just about food, it is about less activity and kids not registering that they are full.
Sensory Issues - I am sure some of you are confused about my statement 'not registering being full.'   Many kids today to not register certain sensory input as many adults do. For example when Karl was two he loved the taste of Hot Sauce. He didn't love it because it tasted good to him, he loved it because he was able to taste something. Karl did not taste food, feel pain or register being full, for him it was from his Autism. For other kids I think it has more to do with eating processed foods and a sort of addiction sets in for those carbs. So a child wants to keep eating and does not register being full. For Karl we gave him fish oil which helped open his receptors allowing him to taste, feel pain and understand that he was full.
Playing Outside - My mother used to say that I needed to allow my daughter (now 23) to be a kid. She never understood that Society is the reason kids can no longer be kids. When I was young, I was allowed to walk 5 blocks to a friends house, walk to school, have a paper route, be outside in my yard without my parents watching me every moment. Back then everyone thought is was safe - WRONG - I am a survivor of Sexual Abuse from a neighbor & a baby sitter. So I do not allow my children outside useless I can watch them, they are not allowed to walk to friends or school. Now add that many homes have two working parents, kids have to stay inside more which leads to less activity.
Gym & Sports - Budget cuts are causing more & more schools to cut sports programs. This means that instead of practicing sports and being active they are going home. Since parents are busy then they are not allowed outside for safety reasons.
Foods - Since parents are working so much there is less time to cook so many parents buy foods based on ease & speed. This means they are buying processed foods which are unhealthy. They are not trying to make their kids fat they are trying to survive during a bad economy. You can teach kids about healthy eating all you want but if it does not fit into the reality of their life, it s not helping them at all. It will waste more money that could go towards sports programs.
I am all for schools teaching kids healthy choices but I feel that the government & schools are putting to much money and time into healthy foods at school. Parents need to be responsible for their children's choices and if I want to reward my son with a candy bar in his lunch I should be allowed. Parents have to take responsibility for their child's food choices. I understand times are hard but when I was a single Mother working three jobs, I still managed to feed my daughter a balanced diet.  Government & Schools need to put more money into more gym classes, sports programs and after school activities (key word being Active).
Balance - Society needs to focus more on balancing life and stop looking for the fast route to getting things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment