Saturday, October 5, 2013

Morning of Lessons

It has been a morning of lessons today and it is only 10:30.

Donald found out that I will no longer allow chores to be done half fast as the dishes were all greasy this morning so he stayed home this morning to redo all his chores.

Karl & Kyle made a very hard decision to save their chore money this week so next week they will have more to spend. This was VERY hard for Kyle as he REALLY wants a larger play mobile set, he almost cried but in the end held it together and made the right choice.

Kyle - Well we were suppose to have Ice Cream for dinner but that was ruined by Kyle having a full blown tantrum over which flavor they should get. Karl wanted one flavor and Kyle wanted another. They decided to do rock paper scissors, well Karl won and that pushed Kyle over the edge. While I understand that it was a hard blow for Kyle after making such a good decision at the Toy Store, I still could not condone his bad behavior. He was screaming and stumping and under no circumstances is that allowed.

I gave him a warning & started counting, he stopped. I then gave him the choice of putting his flavor back and he would get the choice next time or I would put all flavors back. He decided on his own option of screaming at me again. At this point there is no reasoning with him so he had to learn that his choice of screaming is unacceptable.

I put back all the ice cream and he continued to scream at me while we went to the register and screamed while we were at the register for a bit. Then by the time it was our turn, he calmed and asked. Mom can we try again tomorrow and I said yes but it will still be Karl's choice of flavor. At this point those around the store that had laughed or given me dirty looks realized I had made the right decision and that Kyle learned a lesson.

Society needs to learn that just because a child is having a tantrum, it does not mean it is always because of bad parenting. Some of us will allow our children to scream as we do not believe in giving in to their tantrum. Giving a child what they want just to keep them quiet can be bad parenting as the parents are teaching the child to have tantrums to get what they want.



Karl was rewarded with a candy bar as he handle me putting the ice cream back very well :)

Donald emptied the dishwasher & filled it, did some laundry, took out recyclables & compost,  rewashed the greasy dishes and was cleaning the counters when I got home:)

Kyle has since calmed down and said he is sorry, he promises to behave today so he can have another chance tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment