Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Buddy

Today I started volunteering in Kyle's class :)  I was very nervous about working in Kyle's class as he has separation anxiety at times but I wanted to try. As I hoped he is very settled into a classroom routine and do not stay at my side:)   He was at my center for the first round, so independent, polite and showing me all he can do :) He did very well with transitioning to other stations. He looked like such a big boy, I was proud and heartbroken at the same time. My baby is growing up!!!!

Later in the morning they get to pick their task, writing, self reading & buddy reading. Those next on the list get to use either a computer or an Ipad :(   I could tell by Kyle's response that he does not like the writing part so I thought for sure he would pick self reading. I was happily surprised to hear him ask a friend to buddy read. That moment washed away many fears I have had and I can see all the benefits of early intervention. Donald & Karl were in the dx process when I was pregnant with Kyle, both got their dx when Kyle was 6 weeks old. At that appointment the Doctor said we were watching Kyle from birth and that he had to have EI at 12 months even if he was not delayed. Many thought this was wrong and that we were predetermining Kyle's future. I watch Kyle with experienced eyes and was careful not to predetermine his future. Little by little we saw signs of Donald & Karl in Kyle and around 12 months Kyle was in EI. It worked out perfectly that Karl completed EI as Kyle entered EI so Kyle had Karl's therapists. This saved us a great deal of time as he already knew them and liked them. After moving to Maine Kyle continued in EI and at age three he went to the best pre-school around Bear Hugs. Jen, Chrissy, Shirley, Lori and others worked so hard with Kyle and helped Kyle overcome so many obstacles.

Because of all the work we did early I watched a brave little boy ask a friend to be his buddy and that was the best thing in the world to witness. We were able to get Kyle to draw a picture for writing, he drew him & I at the parade Saturday and he gave me long funny hair :) SO PROUD!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment