Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Magical Day




    Magical Day – I barely slept last night, I always have trouble sleeping in a hotel room, way too much light comes through the door. So I was awake around 6:30 but wanted to relax so I let the boys (even the big one) sleep in. All but Donald was up by 8:10 when I realized I should double check start time. At 8:19 someone answer with “9,” my thought was dame we won’t make it. I showered & dressed while Mike got the boys ready, we packed the car as fast as possible and checked out of the hotel. We arrived at Narragansett Town Beach at 9:19, found out that opening ceremony had not taken place yet. A perfect way to start our dayJ

Wanting to film the opening ceremony I stayed just outside the circle with Karl as the crowd was too large for him. Looking around at many families who “get it” is the most wonderful feeling. No worry what people will think if one of the boys have a full blown meltdown, knowing another Mom will not ask permission but just help if they fell you need help, as it should be in the world. A day were no one needs to explain Autism but share parenting stories knowing they understand Autism is there. It is a day for the kids, no IEP meeting, 504 meeting, no judging and best part of all is feeling connected to so many people who are actually strangers.
For me it was nice to finally meet Karen, Mitch & Kristin, three women I have known online for a few years but never met in person. Also great to see Doreen & Cindie again J Even though I have not talk with Mitch in a while and only found Karen again last month, it is like being with old friends again. I really hope we can all get together again J
Knowing Kyle was very nervous, we showed him how the surfers worked with kids and how they help kids surf. Surfers Healing was great by allowing the boys to surf at separate times even though they were scheduled together. Donald went first. He acted like an old pro – “I got this Mom.” He had two good rides in, when he up to me he tells me – “I was so scared for a minute Mom.”  I was like what’s wrong, you did great. He replies “ a fish flapped his tail at us.”  I just looked at him and laughed J   

Kyle was next but had a long wait as the surfer were having lunch. His anxiety was sky high and I could see him holding onto Mike for dear life. I went to help but saw a small smile so I stepped back and let Mike handle, those of you that know me, know that was hard to do…  Then a surfer comes up to Kyle telling him it is his turn and the tears started so I had to go help and of course remind him that his reward was two king size candy bars. Candy bars did not make a difference so I then offered Ice Cream for dinner, ask the surfer to promise he could stay on his belly so he smiled and went off. His surfer was amazing with him, he kept his promised to Kyle about staying close to us. I thought for sure that Kyle would only do one ride in but his surfer got him to go out for three rides and was able to get Kyle to stand on the board with him. Once Kyle knew it was over, he cried and just wanted Mommy. But once he got to me, it was all about taking that wet t-shirt off. LOL

Since many surfers had finished lunch, Karl was up right away. Karl who in the past never wanted off the board had very mixed feeling today. He was very scared but wanted to do it. He went out OK, they tried to come in on a couple but the wave was not good. Next thing we knew Karl had a great ride in and was all done.

The boys all got there metals as they finished and have not taken them off since. As we have made a few stops, they have explained what they did today with great pride J

I need to give a big shout out to Whole Foods for donating lunches and that they were Gluten Free lunches. Since we are staying at hotels we thought lunch was going to be snacks until we got back on the road. Thank you so much for your generosity.

To Surfers Healing – Thank you All!!!!!!!!!  Since we moved to Maine we were unable to attend 2011 & 2012 but we made it this year. Thank you all so much for all you do, my boys feel so incredibly special and they are very grateful to have such a Magical Day in RI
J

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I was the one who checked you in and put an X on the boys bracelets! They were so awesome! Good luck with your fund raising efforts up in Maine! Can't wait to see you next year! Darlene

    ReplyDelete