Saturday, March 14, 2015

Fears and Helping Others





     Karl has a fear of being picked up or carried, not having something under his feet is extremely upsetting to him. He use to scream at the top of his lungs if I picked him up so I have been working with him on this for 6 years. I would pick him up for a minute, he would scream at first but with time he found he was safe and did not scream so I would extend the time each time I held him. Now he will let me carry him for a few minutes so I do little things like twirl with him in my arms to make him laugh. We have come a long way in 6 years but he still gets nervous now and then.



    Today at Walmart a gentleman was having a hard time reaching an item on the top shelf, he was about to step on the bottom shelf to reach it. I offered to help him but it was too far back for me to reach. I warned the gentleman not to stand on the shelves as he would fall. he suggested that I could pick up one of the boys for which I agreed. I figured Karl was the best choice as Donald is too heavy and Kyle's arm are too short.



     We asked Karl, he got scared and went to hide, I stopped him, and explained to the gentleman that Karl had Autism. I then explained to Karl that by letting me pick him up we would be helping someone and that would be the right thing to do. He agreed and let me pick him up, although this time I had to left him higher then I have ever lifted him. He was shaking but didn't say a word, he just reached for the items, brought them forward and turned to hold my shoulders as I put him down. I had tears filling my eyes as I was so proud that he put his fears aside to help a stranger. The gentleman seemed confused why this meant so much to me and why I praised Karl so much. I explained Karl's fears to him, you could see on his face that he really appreciated what Karl did for him and repeatedly thank Karl. Karl turned with an 'aw shucks' attitude saying your welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment